Tulip Table Runner
Does anyone remember this project? I dusted it off recently and decided to finish it up for a Mother's Day giftie -- and really had a blast re-kindling with this one!
I started by putting together a backing of strips left over from the front. Katie will now inspect.
Then it was sandwich time. No Katie, not that kind of sandwich. No turkey or cheese here... just fabric and batting.
At this point I decided I wanted to do a little something special to really make the flowers stand out.
I decided on a little hand embroidery in the form of yellow french knots to look like the pollen in the middle of a flower.
Aren't those little knots so darling? I really enjoyed the process and can see doing it to another quilt in the near future for sure!
A close up!
A shot of another flower!
Once I finished quilting -- I did a very simple square 1/8 in from the edge of each flower box and also a large rectangle around the border of the whole runner -- it was time for binding.
I made up a bit of blue and scrappy binding. Don't you just love binding all rolled up?
And here is the finished table runner. It's about 5 feet 3 inches long. I know... it's for a very big table!
I really enjoyed making this one! I enjoyed gifting it too! My MIL (that's Mother in Love) was over the moon to get it! She had already seen the top completed, but not the whole thing together yet. What a great project!!
I'm excited to say that this project has gotten the most attention this past week and I am loving every stitch of it! Get it... every stitch? Ha!
I still can't get over the richness and vibrancy of these Kona solids. Every last one is so delicious! I was stuck between can't cut these pretty fabrics and I can't wait to dive in for weeks.
I assembled three of the blocks just to get a feel for it. And it was easy peasy!
I got out a big pile 'o small batting scraps to use for the quilt as you go part.
I also have my fabric scraps at the ready. I haven't separated them out by color yet, but I am thinking it's the next logical step.
I randomly decided to start with this Kelly green block and was amazing at how many green's I have in my scraps. It may help me to put all the Kona bottle green colors (there are three of them) next to me so that I can figure out which scraps will go with this one versus other shades.
Like those mushrooms in the top right -- so cute! -- but probably belong with the darker green shade.
Still on my design wall, next step is to cut squares and then piece the top. Just haven't picked up the rotary cutter to do this yet.
I have been thinking about one a lot too. And I think I am going to restart this one. I originally used some very thick fabrics to get the fur texture, but it has proved hard to thread paint.
Of course, I haven't given this a try on the new machine yet. Maybe that's my plan. Try thread painting it on the new machine and take it from there.
Much love for Japan
Much love for Japan