8.23.2011

Groovy Gathered Clutch with Dots and Coffee!

I have had this Gathered Clutch from Noodlehead on my want to do list for some time now.  And guess what?  I did it.  I decided a few nights ago that I wanted to start something that I could finish the same night... and this is much more doable than a whole big quilt in one sitting.

I read through the materials list and then started to gather up my supplies. For fabrics I pulled Michael Miller Baby Feelin Groovy in Charcoal, Michael Miller Dumb Dot Gray, and Saturday in Brown.  I also grabbed my fusible interfacing (first time using it) and a gray zipper.


I started to cut all the pieces as the instructions were wrote and started to see that there maybe a better fabric match to line the clutch.  I grabbed this coffee pattern (sorry I don't have the name of it handy).  I was tickled because it has the same light blue tone!


As promised this clutch really did come together rather quickly.  Here is a look at my gathered front.

I'm so proud, I even figured out how to use the basting stitch on my sewing machine for the first time which is used to create the gathers!


Here are the credit card slots for the lining.  Yup, those chocolate kisses and coffee cups are perfect! 


And here is the clutch all put together!  Another first for me was using the zipper foot on my sewing machine.  I have only had it a few months now and apparently haven't strayed far from quilting.  It wasn't nearly as scary as I remember it being to use the zipper foot.


I enjoyed the technical challenges that this little project posed.  They were like good reminders to help me brush the dust off some of my sewing skills.


And here is a quick peak in the clutch. 


Yup, I'm pretty smitten with this one.  I am working my way up a little into trying to sew a few skirts or a dress.  I also can see making this clutch a few more times.  I already have a few other color schemes in mind and I have a few ideas for how I might tweak the design a bit. 


Just goes to show that sometimes you should just take the leap.  Go for it.  Give it a whirl.  You may be really proud that you did!!

I am sharing this at Fabric Tuesday at Quilt Story as well as a few other parties from my weekly party list!


Fresh Poppy Design


16 comments:

Golden Woofs! SUGAR said...

Woof! Woof! My mom loves making bags n purses ... her first sewing project was a tote bag. She loves to do more and different styles ... love the gathered fabric on the front. Thanks for sharing. Happy Tuesday. Lots of Golden Woofs, Sugar

Anonymous said...

Very nice! I have some coffee fabric and you just gave me a great idea!

Linz said...

Cute!!!!!

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

What a cute clutch purse! You did a wonderful job on it and isn't it fun to finish something fast!

Teje Karjalainen said...

That is really beautiful and your fabric choise is perfect! Love the coffee fabric!

Seaweed and Raine said...

Yummo Christie! I knew as soon as I saw it where it was from - it's been on my to-do list for some time too. I just need to get my act together and do it! :) You have inspired me to get to it!

Seaweed and Raine said...

P.S. That coffee fabric is terrific!

Beka said...

love it!

Sweetwater Style said...

Thanks for commenting on my ugly office chair redo....to quote YOU...
take the leap. Go for it. Give it a whirl :)
I am a new follower and hope you will return the favor. Have a great day!

Angela said...

You did a great job on this clutch! I really love your fabric choices..they are great!
Angela

Coley said...

These are SO cute!! Loving the fabrics

Canadian Abroad said...

You did a great job. And you are right, the coffee cups fabric was the perfect lining.

LrSchwtz said...

Great job, I love the fabric and colors. I'd love for you to stop by www.laughloveandcraft.com and link up to my Share the Wealth Wednesday Link Party! I'm your newest follower!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful job with super fabrics!

Craft-a-Boo said...

That is simply awesome! I am going to have to make one for me. My other sewing machien feet are collecting dust, so this might be just the ticket.

thanks for coming to link up at this week's weekend wow me party. Hope to see you next weekend!

Chef in Training said...

this is so cute and fun! i love it! Thanks so much for linking up to Tuesday Talent Show! I would love to have you stop by and link up again tomorrow with more great projects!
-Nikki
http://chef-n-training.blogspot.com/

Related Posts with Thumbnails