8.03.2011

Sunshine Saturated Sewing Stuff

I HAVE A FINISH!! - Happy Garden (king sized)
Doesn't happen often, but feels oh so good when it does.  You can see King's Happy Garden is all done now!
 
--A LITTLE SHOPPING--

I finally committed to a bigger cutting mat.  The little blue one (just about fits a fat quarter) is that one I have used all this time.  It's a great brand and I had no complaints other than it was on the smallish side. 

So, I decided it was time to graduate and went for the biggest one my sewing table would accomodate.  I don't remember the size of it the top of my head, but it's huge!  Where was this when I was trying to cut fabric for my king size?  Can't wait to slice into a huge piece of fabric!


I also took advantage of a moving sale that In Color Order was having.  Have you seen her selection of vintage sheets?  I couldn't figure out what I wanted exactly, so I decided to get one of her Grab bags of Vintage Sheets.  This is 10 fat quarters!!  So exciting!!


I was also excited to open a box from Canton Village Quilt Works!

I got 1/4 yards of (from left to right) Disco Flower - Hot Pink, Saturday - Brown, Zig Zag Stripe - Lavender, Lollies - Peach, Delhi Blooms - Grass.  The last one on the very right is Bellflower - Orange and I got a bit more of that one *love*


I also splurged on a Kona Cotton Denim Fat Quarter Bundle... which is the starting point for a quilt for Mr. Happy.  Can you believe after all this time I still haven't make a special quilt for him?  Time to fix that. 

And he put a request in that he gets it by October (before it gets really cold), so front and center this one goes. 

So much for this being a Christmas gift. 


--GETTING ORGANIZED--

All that shopping made me realize that it was time to get things back into an organized fashion.  So, Sammy and I set out to seperate fabrics by size, color, and make sure they were neat and folded. 


It took a lot of time to do it all, but I had my trusty helper at my side who stayed awake... for most of it.


The results... make me want to dive into this drawer all the time.  I had no idea that I had large scraps of all the colors of the rainbow.  Pretty cool, right?  I still need to snap a picture of my larger fabric pieces... yes, I did the mini-bolt thing.


--NEW PROJECTS--

Simple Blue-Gray {still needs a proper name}

Ok... enough of shopping and organizing.  I am one of those that needs to have busy hands.  And so, I started the mister's quilt last night.

Am I the only one that finds it hard to open one of these pre-cut bundle things?  It's just so pretty.


Ok, one more look for good measure and then I tore into it!


I ironed all the fat quarters and then set out to start cutting.  Just loving the blue-gray combo!


And, I'm not quite ready to show you my plan yet, but here is a distant hint. 

Yes, these are the scraps from cutting a few pieces.  I warned you the hint was distant.


 --STALLED--

X Marks the Spot
As soon as I get the batting, then this will get sandwiched, quilted, and binding.
I am looking froward to getting back to this one, but decided I needed a finish, so this one was put aside. 

Crewel Spring Flowers
Nada -- poor pretty flowers.


Katie Fiber Art
No action here.

You Can Sew-a-thon!!
You haven't heard of it??... check it out here or read about our first project (Strawberry Pincushion).

WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced

This Week's Work in Progress (WiP) Stats:
Last WiP Wednesday Total: 6
New Projects: 1 (added the blue-gray quilt for Mr. Happy)
Finished Projects: 1 (King's Happy Garden)
Total WiP's: 6 (strangely still the same as last time)
日本のための多くの愛
Much love for Japan

10 comments:

Unknown said...

what a cute pup!!
I bet you are lovin the new mat! Looks like you deserve it after using that little one for so long!

Debbie said...

Oh that mat will make a world of difference for you! And YUM RE: your new fabrics!

Linz said...

Yay for a bigger cutting mat!!! That's great!!

All of your projects look awesome!!

And your puppy is just so cute!!

Lynette said...

Awww :) Puppy cuteness to melt the heart.

Wendy said...

Ha, isn't that how it goes...you don't get the large cutting mat til after the king size quilt! I just recently got a larger mat like yours. I love it.

Absolutely love the blues and greys...have fun with it!

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

You will love your bigger mat. Love the Kona Cotton Denim bundle and other fabrics!

Anonymous said...

wow, thanks so much for visiting me to find you as well, what beautiful work you do,, amazing,, I'm going to follow your blog,, I'm just at this moment working on a rag quilt for my grandaughter out of her old recieving blankets..My blog is mostly art but I do quilt and sew.!!Your quilts are beauitufl and the stash you have ooo la la .I actually don't have a dog,, I just painted this from memory,, my old fellow has gone on,, he lives in my heart,

Leanne said...

A giant mat is so nice to have. I love your fabric stacks, looking forward to seeing what you make.

Terrie said...

When I looked at your ice cream sketch, I didn't explore your site to realize you're a quilter. A Queen Quilter!! OMG, your projects are exquisite! So pretty and so much time and planning - fun to play with all those lovely fabrics though!

Janet Dibbydabby.com.au said...

I love your puppy! Gorgeous! Your fabrics are beautiful

Related Posts with Thumbnails