4.21.2010

That's a long run

Calling all runners.

I have been fond of running for as long as I can remember. I 've run for distance, speed, and just plain 'ole fun.  I have done 24 hour team marathons, 5k's, sprinting, and cross country.

This is my very own stinky running shoe.

Why am I sharing all this?  Well, I'm back on the running horse! 

Last year collectively was probably the most stressful year yet.  We were house hunting, packing, moving, trying to figure out careers, being first year newlyweds, trying to make descisions about masters degrees, entering art shows, spending time with family, and that didn't leave a lot of time for much else.

This year is already a much different story! 

I live in the happy dream castle, stress is at an all time low, I'm feeling more healthy (as we are eating better), and Mr. Happy and I keep finding new ways to enjoy mega simple things.  It's heaven!  And in my heaven, I run!

A friend of mine asked if I wanted to train for a half marathon.  First reaction.  That's a long run.  Second reaction.  If I did that, I'd be in really good shape.  Third reaction.  I'd really like to prove to myself that I could do something that seems that... well... hard.  Fourth reaction.  Let's do it!  So, I am officially training for a half marathon coming up in March 2011 --t-minus 11 months to go. (I still have mega fears about the amount of snow that will be on the ground that time of year and how cold it will be, but one step at a time, right?)

A new goal, meant I could buy a motivator.  I had some Kohls cash and decided to splurge it on some new running gear.  I was specifically looking for water wicking stuff and a fitted sweatshirt I could use to kill the "it's too cold" excuse I muster up all too often.  Here's a look at me in my new motivators!! 
Oh ya!  So styling.  So comfortable.  So ready to get my butt kicked!

Here is what Day 1, pre run looked like.  I'm smiling.  I'm excited.  I'm ready~
My running partner extraordinaire was ready too.  One of the big factors of picking out a goldie was the fact that it would give me a running partner.  I was sure to follow my vets tips on how long to wait to begin training with her and how to ramp her up.  Now that she is nearly turning three -- she is prime!  She knows the deal of how to stay with me and follow my pace.  She knows that a run means more moving and less sniffing.  And she just flat out loves to run!  I think I actually need to teach her jogging now.  She really has speed!

See what I mean.  She saw my gear.. and most importantly my running shoes come out.  Then I said the magic word.... RUN!?!!?

Day 1 felt good.  I used MapMyRun and it looks like we went about 1 mile -- not including the bit that we played around on the lake beach.  Yesterday was a day of rest.  Today, I can feel those oh so familiar muscles meant for running screaming soreness.  Also, screaming happy endorphins!!

I also decided to let the competitive side of me help keep me consistant.  So, I have signed up to Run/Walk a Marathon in 30 days.  A marathon is 26.2 miles.  I decided I'm starting it today.  No time like the present!

What exercise or moving do you use to keep you happy?

I think I can sneak my sneaker in as a Mid Week Blues entry.  Hosted by the lovely Rebecca at the Dusty Cellar, click over there to see all the other cool entries too!  (sneaky of me, right?)

6 comments:

Golden Woofs! SUGAR said...

Woof! Woof! That's great. My mom got hurt from training for a marathon that is why she only participate in indoor stair climbing events. So be very careful. You have a pretty Golden Partner there that will truly provide you such inspiration. Lots of Golden Woofs, Sugar

Suburban Girl said...

Love it. My husband is an avid runner, having won States in the 4x400 in high school and running varsity for Penn State. He is still running almost 30 years later. And still has a 32 waist. I should have been a runner...

Michael said...

Exercise and keeping happy just don't go together for me. now, if I had tons of money, i would easily say Skiing all day but alas, don;t ever get to do that. I do try to jog now and then and I need to begin walking again.

good luck with that Half Marathon Christie. how exciting. Phew. thanks for the lovely photos too! :)

Jientje said...

I admire you for that! I'm a walker, not a runner. Never have been!

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog said...

Um, I think I might be addicted to running (you might be able to tell from the post I wrote today). I really think that there is no better way to do exercise than by doing something that you can impress yourself with.

Did you do the Hood to Coast (24 hour marathon)? I just watched a documentary about it the other day and it looked amazing!

Cynthia said...

unfortunatly i have terrible knees that prevent me from doing all sports except swimming I love to swim!! I recently started doing yoga, so far I like it but we'll see how long that lasts! I'm excited to follow your marathon progress and I love your new gear, yellow is such a happy color :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails