9.27.2010

Quilting Rocks my World!

I know it has been all about this chair the last few days, but this is nearly the grand finale.  You guessed it.  I finished the seat!  I have put together lots of savaged bits of interesting fabrics, which turned out to be no small task as I had to decide on the desired shapes, sizes and placements. 

I used an original design for the 'pattern' and to be honest I don't think I'd be able to recreate it.  When you last saw things, I had a lot of pieces cut out and was beginning to join them.  Here is how the sewing started to shape up... 


I pinned additional pieces in place to get a feel for the size I needed to cover the seat.  I also started to get a feeling for how the painted chair and seat complimented each other.  At this point they still feel a little foreign, but I have ideas on how to tie them together.


Next step was to remove the old fabric covering and check out what the base looked like.  Can you believe I pulled out all these staples? 


I was pretty surprised to see that the fabric wasn't the original covering.  At this point, I'm not even sure if the seat and the chair started their life together.  Can you picture a pleather seat for this shape?


This is a great shot of my workspace to include my custom door-desk I originally showed you here.


I wanted to extra cushion on the seat with batting added between another layer of fabric... also, making this more of a real quilt piece. 

Once I had the batting in place and another flowing design laid on with pins I set out to again get the sewing machine humming.


And... fancy music, bells, and fireworks......

...here us the finished quilted seat in all it's glory!


A look of it on the chair...


I'm proud.

It beats my expectations for what I thought I could pull together.

Yup, proud is a good way to express this feeling!!


Tomorrow we will take a breather from all this creativity and I will share our trip to the aquarium!  Who doesn't love a good jelly fish or sleepy seal!?!


2 comments:

Golden Woofs! SUGAR said...

Woof! Woof! Looks great!!! Lots of Golden Woofs, Sugar

Quiltstory said...

So cool and original!! Love it! Thanks for sharing, see you next week!

Related Posts with Thumbnails