I am showing a few pieces in a "for fun -- at work" art show. I wanted to include a few color pencil sketches in my display, but they just didn't feel like they fit the fabric theme of the three quilts I was showcasing.... so, I got creative.
I found fabric transfer paper. The kind that you can put in your printer, print out any image, and then iron on to fabric. Simple right?
Following the instructions this brand says not to use an ironing board, but instead a pillowcase on a hard and heat resistant surface. It also asked that the iron be set to a no steam setting.
Here are my printed images set on top of pieces of white fabric... ready to be ironed on.
I could have gotten a little more daring and tried different fabrics colors or a pattern, but I wasn't feeling gutsy enough. So, white won out.
You iron a ton. Then let the image cool for two minutes. Then peel off the backing. And voila! I like how it has a little sheen to it. Almost like the glass in a picture frame. I was off to a good start.
Keeping that picture frame idea in mind, I picked out a fabric that would pull colors and strength out of each pencil drawing. Here is the fabric for my little neko (Japanese for cat).
I cut strips out at 2.5 inches and began to sew them in place around the image.
Using the same strip joining technique in quilt binding, I made my corners and then sewed along the seam to keep the frame flat.
Here is what the fabric frame looked like once I had all the corners together and sewn down. Neat, right?
I did the same for the second pencil sketch I selected. Find a fabric to bring out the colors and compliment the chaos!
Pin and sew down 2.5 inch strips to frame the image. The overlapping ends are used to make those angled corners.
Here is the frame all sewn together, but I still had iron the frame and sew down the corners.
And of course... you did see the binding coming, didn't you? Here is the binding for the tree image I am calling "Hope."
I originally created this sketch for Mr. Toast's Creative Tuesday for the theme New Year.
And now, here is "Hope" with the binding on! I did some stippling around the sides of the frame. Mostly loopy circles to keep a real organic feeling.
And here is my darling "Maneki Neko" (also loosely Lucky Cat in Japanese). I choose a dark chocolate brown for the binding on this one. I also did a simple straight line quilting around the center to create a beveled look.
I also originally created this sketch for Mr. Toast's Creative Tuesday meme, but for the theme Luck/y.
And here is a quick snap of the two together!! I am so pleased with how they turned out!
Imagine doing this treatment of transfer and fabric frame for a piece of children's art or love letter from your special squeeze.
The ideas are really endless... and I must say it gives a whole new dimension to the work. I'd call this experiment a success and I can see doing this again in the future!
Our work art show opens today and runs through Friday. I will be smiling ear to ear as I play hostess... demonstrate some quilting techniques, and enjoy the fact that we all get to talk about art for a few days!
-- I am joining Fabric Tuesday at Quiltsory --
Hug the ones you love!
Much love for Japan