12.29.2011

A Christmas Gift Quilt Finish! {Sisters Are a Plus}

I made a quilt this year for my Sister-in-love for Christmas.  It was so much fun to dream up and make since she mostly likes what I like.  And can you believe that I put this together from cutting to binding in just under one and a half weeks?  Insane.  I know.  And now you know why I was quiet on the blogging front during that time.

I can't promise that I will be putting any quilts together that fast anytime soon.  In fact, I also have to admit that I haven't touched my sewing machine since Christmas.  I know... nearly four whole days... how am I surviving?

With that, here is the making of the quilt I am calling "Sisters Are A Plus" from beginning to end.  I don't seem to have a picture of the stack of fabric I started with, but here are the rows in progress.


It's made mostly from a fat quarter stack of Lizzy House's Outfoxed fabrics.  They are so bright and colorful and covered in the cutest foxes, hedgehogs, and bunnies!  I also added in some Alexander Henry pieces and others that I had been saving for something special.


The quilt was well tested along the way by the best Quality Inspector in training.  Every time I'd have the quilt on the floor for one reason or another Sammy would dashed onto it like lightening and make herself comfortable.


Don't worry, Katie was not to be left out.  After all she is the one training little Sammy in the ways of quilty Quality Assurance. 


I did something different with the binding than I normally do.  This time around I tried out making a continuous bias binding.  And really like the whole process.  I followed the instructions I found here and here.


I found this method quicker than strip piecing and really enjoyed only having to iron one long strip of binding in half at the end.  This orange binding is so pretty... I just wanted to pet it!


And here she is.  Sisters Are A Plus!!  I used a modified version of the the Plus quilt pattern from In Color Order.  My changes added a few rows and columns to make the quilt bigger and square; finishing at about 75 x 75 inches.

And yes, if you noticed this isn't my normal grassy photo spot.  Because of the quickness of this quilt's making... it was in the washer/dryer late on Christmas eve and I found myself taking pictures of it (in a panic) Christmas morning before my Sis showed up.

All that aside.  Isn't she beautiful?  I nearly pulled the "puppy ate your quilt card" and kept this one for myself.


A closer look at the pluses and quilting.  I did the quilting in a bright orange thread and outlined each of the pieced lines 1/4 from the edge.  It's a lot of lines, but the straight quilting went quick.


You can see the result of the quilting a bit better on the back where all the resulting squares give this quilt a ton of texture!! 

I made the back from 1 yard each of five different solids which more or less coordinate with the fabrics on the front.  I put them in rainbow order... and in hindsight I might have mixed them up instead.


All in all this comes ridiculously close to my favorite quilt made of all time.


But, I am also so happy that this quilt will be adored in it's new home as much as it would have been with me.  And hey.. I can always go over for a dinner party and wisk it home with me, right? 

Ha, not happening.  You'd understand if you knew my Sister in love.



My quilt using advice to my Sis was:
  • use the quilt often -- snuggling with a quilt can be like the biggest longest hug ever
  • don't be nervous washing the quilt -- and hey, dirty happens
  • over time, your quilt will only get softer! 
Her answer to me?  She said... yes, I know.. you make your quilts to be used. 

I have trained her well!!  Such a happy moment as another quilt leaves the nest!


I only hope that you had as much fun and success making and giving homemade gifts this year! 

It's an amazing feeling isn't it?  To give someone you adore something that you created from nothing but a stack of fabric and string.  A wonderful feeling!

Updated to mention I will be sharing this Fabric Tuesday over at Quilt Story!

28 comments:

odessaseven said...

Looks great! I think you've probably made enough quilts to wrap the East Coast in warmth by now.

Linz said...

That turned out so so so beautiful!!! I am sure she is just tickled pink!!

Paula said...

OMG!!! I LOVE this! Your sister-in-law is one lucky lady. Especially, love the backing you used. Beautiful.

Quiet Quilter said...

For some reason I thought of orange marmalade when I saw this...I could almost taste it! Lucky Sis!

Boondocks Love Shack Pack said...

That is gorgeous! My mom has always loved quilts and hopes to one day have a golden retriever one!

AROOOOOF!
Boondocks & The Love Shack Pack

Kris from Duke Says Sew What said...

Wow Christie! This is my favorite quilt of yours! I love it!! I am inspired to make one, too. I love it that much! I really like that binding color for it. I'm sure she loved it.

Beka said...

I sure am a lucky girl. I couldn't possibly love it anymore. My quality controllers have approved it as well. And you're right. There is no way I'm letting you steal this baby! <3<3

Teje Karjalainen said...

Hi! That is really wonderful! Could be my favourite, too!
Hugs from Teje & Nero

Lori said...

Visitor over from Faith, Trust, and Pixie Dust. Love your blog and just became a follower. I am new to quilting and am working on my first quilt. I love to see what you've done with this! Plus, gotta those those Quality Inspectors!!

WiffsWife said...

Wow, Christie....that quilt is beautiful! Oh how I long for the space to make quilts. I have never made a quilt, but have always wanted to learn. I have a feeling it would be very addicting!

Following from Fabulous Friday at Faith, Trust and Pixie Dust.

Carol, The Answer Is Chocolate said...

Absolutely gorgeous! Thanks for sharing at this week's BFF Open House! Happy New Year.

Sarah said...

This is so great! I want to learn how to quilt so badly. This one is so beautiful and such an inspiration!

lovexretro.blogspot.com

Kelly @ Vintage Fabric Studio said...

Thanks for linking to Eat, Grow, Sew...but I had to reset my party because I forgot to renew for pictures! I hope you'll come back and enter again!
This quilt is gorgeous and I'd have to feature it!!!! Love the colors it works so well together! Lucky Lady your sister!

Carla said...

She is definitely going to give this quilt a lot of love. It came out beautifully.

Ricochet said...

I love how this quilt turned out! Great job!

Erin @ Invisible Girl said...

I love it! I have always wanted to attempt a plus quilt, love the way they look. Great job!

KendasCrafts said...

looks great! i love plus quilts

Honey I'm Home Blog said...

I love your pup & your quilt! I'm featuring both in my Fab Friday Favorites post tonight. Please feel free to take an "I Was Featured" button if you'd like & come back again next Friday!

Warmly, Michelle

Unknown said...

I saw your quilt at Michelle's Faith, Trust and Pixie Dust party but was so charmed by your doggie!
We just got a surprise golden puppy at Christmas and we are all just ga-ga for him!
Can't wait to peek around your blog!
Have a great weekend!
Kerry at HouseTalkN

Craft-a-Boo said...

This is SPECTACULAR! I was in awe and there weren't enough pictures! That is definitely going on my to-do list! (man that thing is getting long!)

Thanks for stopping by and linking up at the Finally! Friday party!

Miranda said...

It's beautiful! I love the back too! Love the pics with your Quality team!

Mary Jo said...

That quilt is awesome! I love it and am going to pin it. BTW, what size squares did you use? Did I miss that in the post?? erm..I'll go back and check.

Seaweed and Raine said...

Oh YUMMM! That is one gorgeous looking quilt! Your Sister in love is very blessed!
I love the colours that you have used - so cheerful.

Michaelanne said...

I just found your quilt on craftgawker and it is AWESOME!!! I HAD to leave you a comment to let you know:) Your blog is fantastic too:) I'll be back!!

Pam @Threading My Way said...

No wonder this quilt is a favourite of yours!!! It's awesome and I love the theme...

Hank hendricks said...

How you come and quilt this?

Send gifts to pakistan

Pam @Threading My Way said...

Hi Christie, I've featured your Sisters Are a Plus Quilt today...
http://threadingmyway.blogspot.com/2012/07/threading-your-way-features_14.html

online florist said...

Thanks for the blog. It was very nice and helpful
florist

Related Posts with Thumbnails